Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How Are You?

Our "base" is now the Dallas/Fort Worth area when we are in the USA. From here we go out to Tennessee, California, Iowa, Arizona and any other place where we can visit people and churches who will love street kids and us. And we arrived in time for the Texas Snow Season of 2010. We had a white Christmas and a white Valentine's Day. Then our two team members arrived from Nairobi; neither of them had ever seen snow, and Jackton was praying that God would let him see snow.
So after the fundraiser at Legacy Church, we went out for pizza at DoubleDave's with some people who helped us. And it started to snow, with the wind swirling it all around. Irene went out and danced in the snow, and Jackton went out and let it blow in his face. Delightful!
As we travel around, we see people whom we know and love. And they say "how are you?" And often my answer is, "I'm happy to be here with you." And it's true. And then I reflect on the question - it turns me inward to examine my heart and feelings and my true state.
And I have found inside myself that I am doing the very thing for which my life was created. That is a welcome joy for one who spent many years feeling inadequate and a bit restless, one whose teenage daughter painted a sweatshirt for him at Christmas one time with a lion and a lamb and the words, "May you find your peaceable kingdom."
And I have.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Charles the snow you witnessed in the Fort Worth area was very unusual. We do not have a snow season as such but usually have one or two light dustings of snow each winter. The year we had more snow spread over a broader area than we have had in all the years I have lived in Fort Worth.

Good Luck to you from a high school friend. Carl Haggerty
cwhaggerty@yahoo.com