Friday, July 26, 2013

D.C. Day Two in Pics

Almost everything I do and almost every conversation I have makes me think about street kids and Made in the Streets and the Team we work with in Nairobi and the many friends in the USA who help in so many ways in the ministry.  And that's true of being in Washington, D.C.
When I sit on a city street drinking coffee with Darlene,
I remember those times when Francis Mbuvi or John Wambu
will come by the house in Kamulu and talk over the ministry,
the land, the buildings, the students...
In the movie Night at the Museum, this big guy from
the Museum of Natural History
usually says "Dum-Dum". And I think about
all the mistakes I have made in ministry,
and how much God has blessed the work anyway.




When we sit down for lunch, we pray
for the Team and the kids and the visitors.
Darlene is sitting in the National
Sculpture Garden, where we went after
viewing the great art at the
National Gallery of Art.
That's a Mediterranean salad
and a small pepperoni pizza.
Outside there was a mouse running around
scaring the big sanitation workers!
And some good modern sculptures
too, especially a
two-sided house that looked real
and more real as you walk around it!
We loved the Impressionist art and the
Rodin sculptures in the museum.


Speaking of that art we love, this
"Girl with a Watering Can" by
Auguste Renior is one of our
favorites.  Many years ago
when my mother was still alive,
I gave her a copy of this.  It's
a great reminder of family love.


This smaller version of "The
Thinker" by Rodin (the big one
is in Paris at his old house) is a
great reminder of what I want to
do for the street kids, and for my
grandkids -- to teach them to THINK
and to think well and strategically
and of good things.

This is the only painting
by Leonardo Da Vinci that
is in the Western Hemisphere.    
I think of the great debt we owe
scientists and thinkers, and I dream
that one of mine will do great things
through trust in God.

No comments: