Tuesday, May 5, 2009

musings from Darlene

I'm reading Charles' blog (over coffee at Java), and I ask him, "Can I write something on your blog? He's so gracious, he even gives me half of his latte also!  A few days ago I was remembering that when I was in jr. hi, I delighted in finding games and having the teens over to our house.  I even went to the library to find games, and I loved it.  Here I am, many many years later, finding new games and leading teens in fun, and I love it still!  Like Charles told the students and Team yesterday, God can give you your heart's desire, even in small things.

It's so good to be back, to sit in Laurent's living room and hear him say, "This is the right thing.  I like it here so much.  This is where I started, and I want to teach other kids they can succeed."  He and Eliza have jumped in and are busy helping in the ministry with joy.  And now we have a Pepperdine group here to teach baking, build ovens, and share skills.  The girls were ecstatic when Shannon arrived -- she'll probably not have a minute to herself!

It's also good to sit in Millie and Jackton's living room and hold that precious baby.  He can hold up his head and his eyes follow a toy and follow his mama walking around.  I'm so thankful!  And Jackton shared with us how he felt when he first saw Kehl, but he has seen this is a true blessing from God.  They are finding others in the community with special kids and they are drawing even closer to God.  And Kehl is a delight; he and Jeremy are passed around by the students. The students love babies and they are learning nurturing and loving.  

I love babies too!  Our ministry team has changed -- now we have toddlers and babies of Team members, and two Team members are seriously in love... (Robin and Irene A).  We miss our family back in the States, but God gives joy here too.

Thank you for loving this street ministry.  Kids really are changing and the Team loves them and give themselves away for this ministry.  When we first started in street ministry, Charles and I asked God to lead us to people who would love street kids.  And He has!  It's amazing -- we have found wonderful friends in the USA and here as well.  

As the kids say in chapel, "My encouragement today is to" ----  Ask God for your heart's desire in serving.  He will provide!

No comments: