Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Reality of Who We Are

Every day brings a new adventure and a new twist in life.  We are struggling with regaining control of a piece of land that belongs to Made in the Streets but has been invaded.  The people, who call themselves the "Kamulu Residents Committee" and pretend to look out for the welfare of the whole community, but who are really a small group of men who gained the help of a politician for what they wanted, have built a building on our property with government money and bought a pickup and added to their houses.  

And the American Embassy has refused to help us in this issue.  They made one suggestion at the beginning, but have recently told us they don't want to do any more.  We had hoped for some influence from them, but we are little fish and don't matter much in the world.  I really mean that.  While I know that God loves me fully and I rejoice in His guidance and power and love, I know that what I am trying to do is small in the eyes of most of the world.  I am grateful that many of you who read my blog like me and believe that what we do for street kids is important.  

But we should not live with illusions.  When we talk with middle-class or more wealthy Kenyans and they ask what we are doing in Kenya, we talk about the street kids.  And they almost always respond with something like, "Can they really learn?"  or "The police really should round them up and put them in remand somewhere." or something like that.  Back home even unbelievers will say "That's nice" when they hear of street ministry.  

I am grateful that followers of Jesus count street kids as important as they are and believe that to raise them up to a new life is a really good thing!  I have found street ministry and the care of these homeless kids to be the fulfillment of my life, to be what I was born for, to be what God has always intended for me.  So it does not matter what people think who do not value these kids, nor does it matter whether anyone thinks we or what we do is important or not.  What matters is that these kids come to know God and have a new life.  

And I am certain that the end result of the land problem will be good for us, whether we win or lose.  It isn't winning that is important, but what our lives become, what we are.  So let us be glad for today and rejoice in it. 

peace and joy, charles

2 comments:

michelle said...

Isn't it just the best to have a work from God-a purpose He created you for! You may not when an academy award or a government award, but the heavenly reward is so much sweeter. Can't you just taste a bit of it now when you see your kids enjoying life and praising God? We will continue to pray over the land issue, but what wonderful fruit has been produced since the trouble started. Your team has chosen the high road- peace and patience and love. Your students see this and learn so much. Thirty-four? Thirty-six? baptisms since this started. Bless you as you continue to not grow weary in doing what is good and right. You encourage so many! Michelle

michelle said...

Oops! I meant "win" not "when"! :)Michelle