Sunday, June 6, 2010

In the Place Christ Chose

My life has changed a great deal since we began working with street children, going into the alleyways of Eastleigh and the warren of small houses down in Mathare Valley. Spending time helping young men and women who have a heart for ministry learn how to do it with eagerness, with endurance, with joy and with confidence in the face of great difficulty.

In earlier times I was a preacher, and I loved preaching. I also taught religion and philosophy in university, and that was great joy. Then I was administrator of a technical (computer and electronics) training school, and that felt like real service, doing something genuinely good.

I have been very comfortable with all my work. We fit in well in California, both with the church and universities. Life has been blessed and full of joy.

We are having a special study lately in Sunday morning class about the human body and the body of Christ. I have downloaded pictures from the internet of human cells -- red and white blood cells, bone cells, eye cone cells, fat cells and nerve cells -- all those wondrous things in the body that show how fearfully and wonderfully we are made. Today's class was on "specializaton," making the point that a cell must "sacrifice" anything else it might have been for the sake of the body. It specializes, for the good of the body.

My life has changed as I have gotten closer to the heart of Christ, as I have found the "special" role that is mine. So now I don't preach any more, now I don't teach in the university, now I don't manage a school. And I'm no longer in California. So I am living in a less comfortable place, and my role is different. Now I am a fundraiser, and a networking liaison and an advisor, none of which make me most comfortable. But I am in the place where Jesus has placed me. It is not what is "natural" to me, but it is what naturally happens in the body of Christ.

And for this I give God glory and honor and praise, for the choice he made for me is that which makes the heart happy and fulfills the longings of the soul.

No comments: