Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Life with Young Moms

What an interesting day. I spoke in chapel at Made in the Streets today about the very beginning of the street ministry, about the first street youth that we met in 1992 and how that meeting changed our lives and led to there being Made in the Streets.

Then I spent most of the day working on the new home for the moms and babies from the streets who are now at Kamulu. There are 7 of them and they have 8 children together. We are moving them into a house next to the girls' compound, and later we will build a wall enclosing them into the compound.

In the afternoon Darlene and I met with the 7 girls, our girls' supervisor and the woman who will supervise the moms and live in the house with them. We talked about what we expect from them and how much we love them and their children. Expectations like respecting one another's space and taking good care of their own kids and not hitting the children, just as we do not hit the moms, for any reason.

After the meeting I went back to the house. Two of the young moms came over, excited to see the house, and helped me with the beds and with cleaning the floor and picking out which pillow and sheets go on which mattress. After a while I was concerned about whether they were supposed to be doing something else at the school. So I asked them, "If you were not here, where would you be?" Mercy looked at me and said, "Oh, I would be in a terrible place, just terrible, I might be dead!" She is truly happy to be at Made in the Streets. That was a little more than I wanted to know, but I thanked her for that and asked, "Well, if you were not in his house at this moment, where would you be?" They said it was teatime, and the others were drinking tea but they wanted to help with the house.

As they were finishing cleaning and working on the windowsills, Veronica noticed something and called Mercy's attention to it. Then Mercy showed me where hornets had built a very long nest along the edge of a window. I went home and then set out on a "wild at heart" adventure. You have to be careful with hornets, for they are fast and have a bad temper. And they were scattered all along the window, not bunched up to make it easy to battle them. With my "Doom" in hand, I carefully took aim and hosed them good. And this time I won!

Now the moms and babies have a new clothesline, the walls puttied and painted, all the beds put together with mattresses, pillow and sheets on them, all the lights working, along with the toilet and shower -- a good day's work. I'm tired, but the girls will rejoice when they move in tomorrow. Before I left, I noticed that Mercy had put her scarf under one of the pillows and Veronica put an exercise book under another one. Staking out a claim...

Tonight our feral cat who sneaked into our house and had 4 kittens in the bottom of a wedding dress actually came up to me and took bits of cheese out of my hand. Then she had the nerve to try to get up on the table and get at my hamburger, but I won that one too. One of the kittens is living with Francis and Maureen now, and another will go to Jackton and Milly's house soon. Two to go, then we can lock her out! Well, maybe not, cats have a way of getting in the heart.

May your heart be captured by something good today.

1 comment:

michelle said...

You have had a lovely day, and I have been blessed to read about it. Blessings, Michelle