Friday, December 21, 2012

Small Drama at Our House

So much for us all to pray for -- elementary schools, high schools, street children, war zones, patriotic soldiers, troubled marriages -- but still...add me to your list if you like.  A new experience for me yesterday -- I woke up as usual at 6:30, shot myself up with insulin, went over and helped the grandkids make breakfast.  While they were eating, I was standing next to the kitchen counter.  The next thing I knew I was sitting in a chair and paramedics surrounded me.  I could answer all their questions - what day is it?  what is your name?  who is the president of Guinea? (no, they didn't ask that!) what were you just doing?  They had me rigged up with sensors.

I didn't know what had happened.  The kids tell me they found me on my hands and knees, they ran to get Shosho (that's Darlene - grandma - in Kikuyu) and Mom and a phone to call 911 (Darlene says the kids were just great -- they knew exactly what to do!) and a chair for me.  My hands were trembling, my body was stiff, my face was pale, I was unresponsive, and I was trying to tie my shoelace!!  They thought I had a stroke.  One of the kids came over to me and kissed me, and they say I said, "I love you."  I'm glad I can still say the right thing even when I don't know I am.

I told the EMT guys that I thought it was likely low blood sugar.  So they tested me and got 30!  Then they said they couldn't understand how I could be sitting up talking to them with a 30.  Darlene got juice and bread with peanut butter and jelly - the only problem is she didn't take time to toast the bread! I recovered quickly and refused to go to the hospital; I had to sign that I was refusing them.  By the time they left the blood sugar was 90.

So I'm fine.  The only scary part is that this could happen without any warning.  I never even felt the blood sugar lowering.  So now I have to check my blood sugar before taking the insulin - or eat something at the same time I shoot up.  And I am shifting to the evening for the shot.  So..if I am ever eating dinner with you, please ask me if I have remembered my insulin.  Other than that, the doctor says to keep up everything the same, but to eat several meals a day -- sounds good -- little meals, she says (Oh! Okay!).

No comments: